When you sit down in a national's home, it isn't like a restaurant where you have the option of refusing the food. The hosts have joyfully prepared something (often the very best they have) to bless you. Many times they anxiously watch you eat to see if you like what they have prepared. You need to receive with the same spirit in which they are giving it: JOY. Luke 10:8 says, "Whatever city you enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you." Be careful to show appreciation for the kindness of the people. Your attitude is what counts most. At the same time, below are a few things you can do to try and stay healthy.
If you should get sick, remember it is okay. Sickness is temporary and sometimes just part of the foreign missions experience. Don't let the fear of sickness, lice, bugs, etc. keep you from going and loving to your greatest potential!
Please be advised, Covid-19 testing may be required to enter and/or exit the country. Please contact your airline to find out all requirements well in advance of your trip.
Tips to Staying Healthy:
- Get vaccinated appropriately.
- Avoid unusual bacteria - many times people will go places and eat from roadside stands or food they are not familiar with or used to eating. The unfamiliarity sometimes creates havoc with the stomach.
- Wash you hands frequently with antibacterial soap and water.
- Use antiseptic waterless solutions.
- Use handy wipes containing alcohol.
- Drink only chlorinated, filtered or bottled water (nationals understand their water may make you sick).
- Drink bottled sodas.
- When snacking eat only prepackaged products.
- Only eat fruits and vegetables that are peeled or cooked.
- Avoid raw food of any type, especially seafood.
- Avoid head-to-head contact with village kids. This will help prevent lice!
To receive a current list of vaccinations and immunizations that are needed for Guatemala, contact:
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention: